Kretinga Church

Thank you for waiting for my next blog, and as I told you in "Hello World!", I flew to Lithuania. When I was there, we went to visit the local church, which is in Kretinga.
Image Copyright

Image copyright

















The church inside is beautiful! The altar is the largest wooden one in the whole of Lithuania, 16 meters high and 8 meters width, containing 21 smaller sculptures. The organ is the oldest dated one in Lithuania, and there are a lot of unique woodwork elements throughout the church. I think that the church is perfect for special occasions like weddings and christenings.

In 1940, Soviet authorities closed the monastery, and confiscated all the valuables. The majority of the church building and the monastery were destroyed in the 1941 fire, and further damage was done during World War 2. Rebuilding and restoration work started in 1982 and still ongoing in 2018.


Image copyright


I think it is quite interesting seeing all the sculptures and the phenomenal detail included near the altar and the side of the pews. When I went to a mass, the choir was better than amazing, breath-tacking and any synonyms put together! They where like living angles on Earth! The doors look like something from the medieval age, but altogether, its a work of art.

Thank you for reading my 3rd blog, please read the other blogs if you are interested in my posts. Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell other people about my blog :) :) :) :) Comment to let me know if people like it.

Best Wishes,
Nida LT xx





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello world!

Adventure or Royalty?